Monday, February 27, 2012

MOJO Monday 230 Birthday Card

We're planning something special for my mother-in-law's 87th birthday, so I made this card for her today. Since it's the last Monday of the month, the MOJO Monday challenge is to make either a round or square card using this sketch:


I wanted to incorporate bright yellow into the colors of my card after walking down our long driveway seeing the buds of daffodils anxious to bloom. I found a scrap of June Bug that was definitely bright and cheery enough for this card. I left the upper portion white with polka dot embossing to match the polka dots in the paper. The sentiment is matted on black, then on a chipboard frame that I just got from Close To My Heart that I couldn't wait to use. Each shape for journaling has a different design embossed, waiting to be inked. I used a sponge and holiday red, then cranberry to ink the polka dotted  border. Instead of having three flowers on the left, I put three other mixed elements. The flower is felt. The butterfly was a white one in a set of CTMH Just Blooms. I used a black marker to outline the shape and attached clear and red sparkles. The yellow ribbon reflected enough light to make the red sparkles appear yellow in the photo.

Since I won't be mailing this card, I purposely made the yellow ribbon longer than the width of the card to go along with the challenge from Our Creative Corner to go "Over the Edge." That also allowed me to focus more on the daffodil color that I can't wait to see in my yard!

5.5" square card recipe:
Paper - Basic Grey "June Bug;" Close To My Heart White Daisy, Black cardstock
Stamp - CTMH Birthday Script (retired)
Ink - Memento Tuxedo Black
Other - Close To My Heart "Persnickety Journaling Spots" Irrisistibles, Clear and Red/Pink sparkles, Just Blooms butterfly; Martha Stewart border punch; K and Co felt rose; ribbon unknown

3 comments:

Sarah C said...

I adore your card! Gorgeous layering and lovely design elements!! Beautifully done!

Tui Nathan said...

Your card is simply lovely .... the bright fresh colours are so happy and cheery and the flower and butterfly work great here!
Thanks for joining us at Our creative Corner!!!

Anne Marie Hile said...

So pretty, Vickie! The colors are so happy and fun together and the gingham ribbon is such a great compliment to that fabulous patterned paper. The heart border is a great touch! Thanks so much for joining us at Our Creative Corner! :)