Friday, February 24, 2012

Shabby Bears for Boys

With five grandsons, I think about making more masculine cards, but usually make them for my female friends instead. Here's one I made using the sketch challenge this week from Sugar Creek Hollow. In addition to the sketch, they want you to use a "cute" stamp and make it vintage/shabby chic. I don't have many "cute" stamps, but I knew I had three bears (from a very old CTMH stamp) that might work. Here's the sketch:



I used a paper pack called "Lucky" from Close to my Heart to have both the vintage and masculine look. I used lots of scissor distressing and some sponging in two colors to distress the oval and the cut-out bear image. I used watercolor pencils (but no waterbrush) on the cross-hatched portions of the bear image for more shading. Vintage cards often have pearls so on this masculine version I used CTMH mocha adhesive gems in the darkest brown color.

I'm also posting this card on Creative Card Crew's Challenge #4 for a masculine card and on Here Come the Boys Challenge #21 - a masculine card with "Vintage Feel." I'm also combining these challenges with the DYSU Challenge #60 - Distressing - since I used two kinds of edge distressing.

6" x 6" card recipe:
Paper - Close To My Heart "Lucky"
Stamps - CTMH retired
Ink - Ranger "Vintage Photo" (image); CTMH - Outdoor Denim (sentiment, sponging), Cocoa (sponging)
Other - Spellbinders die (oval); Martha Stewart border punch; CTMH mocha adhesive gems, jute; pop-dots

6 comments:

Mynn xx said...

This is so very cute! LOVE those little bears! So adorable! :)

Payne Holler Cards said...

awwwww so precious!
thanks so much for joining us at Sugar Creek Hollow!

Unknown said...

That's super

kitten DYSU team

WencheP said...

Fabulous card, Thanks for joining us at Do You Stack Up.

-Wenche

Anonymous said...

This is a lovely vintage card! Thank you for playing at Here Come The BOys! Woo x

Craftdee said...

Great combination of Masculine and Vintage Feel... perfect for our challenge at Here Come The Boys, thanks for joining us and hope to see you again, Donna