Monday, March 12, 2012

Hymn Challenge #2 Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus



Here is the next page in my album I call Hymn and Faith Journaling. It's a 9" x 9" album so that it's small enough for my kids to hold and read some day but large enough to include the hymn, verses of Scripture, and journaling thoughts. 

I used the Hymn Challenge #2. If you haven't seen Patter's challenge, you would be blessed by reading it.

When my kids were young, this was a hymn we often sung in church on Sunday nights. It has always been one of my favorites because it reminds me of a truth I learned in my 20's - to practice the presence of Christ, realizing He's right here in my presence. When my kids grew up and would call me about problems they were going through, one of the verses I often quoted to them was one that always helped me take my mind off of the unchangeable circumstances I might be in was Philippians 4:8 that I included on this layout.  " Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are honest, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things." I'm glad I memorized this verse when I was a child. It has helped me over and over to turn my eyes upon Jesus, to turn my thoughts on the right things.

On Saturday a young woman was sharing a nightmarish experience that was overwhelming her thoughts. This was one of the verses that I shared with her again. She remembered I'd shared it with her before. She was sitting in her car outside a scrapbook crop one of our friends was hosting. She was almost too overwhelmed to go in. I reminded her that her scrapbooking and art were one of the beautiful, lovely things this verse was talking about. She said she'd go in for a few minutes, but I heard later that she'd stayed and visited with others for a long time. These friendships that we make are also among the lovely things in life in my book. When life gets ugly and hard to take, Christ and the beauty he wants to give to our lives is the remedy.  I also told her to read scripture each day to let His words wash away the unpleasantness.

One of the most enriching things I learned my first year of teaching in a Christian school was to read 5 Psalms and 1 chapter of Provers each day. There are 150 Psalms, so that would make them last for 30 days and you would repeat them again the next 30 days. There are 31 chapters in Proberbs, so that's also the right amount for a month. I was told that the Psalms would build your relationship with God and the Proverbs would build your relationship with your fellow man. I did this for many decades and can attest to the fact that it brought me close to the Lord in difficult circumstances and gave me a heart for God, hopefully like that of the writer, King David.  This is just one way to Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus.   May God bless you.

No comments: