Saturday, March 3, 2012

The Spirit of Christmas All Year

I spent today at the memorial service with a dear friend whose husband just passed away. We've been friends for 50 years, a really long time. Other classmates that I see occassionally or rarely were there. It fills your heart with a mixture of joy and sadness. Joy in seeing the strength of friendships in the healing process and still sadness, wishing I could take away some of the pain. And yet, this friend, always the cheerleader for us all, had that same radiance. Surely it was because she knew where her husband is and thankful for the time they had.

I used the sketch from Stampin Sisterhood challenge #12, the Christmas Card ChallengeWeek #13 to include music, and Craftyhazelnut's Christmas Challenge #62 to use red.




I had planned all day to make this Christmas card today for special challenges. When I selected the sentiment, I realized a little more of it's meaning. "May the Spirit of Christmas warm your heart all year long." All year means even today, even during the sad or difficult times. The joy of sharing, giving, caring should be year-round.  The minister talked about the gift of Jesus for us all. I chose this Christmas Carol for these words that I'm whispering as a prayer, personalizing it for my friend:

I love Thee Lord Jesus, look down from the sky
And stay by my (friend's) side 'til morning is nigh

Be near her Lord Jesus, I ask Thee to stay
Close by her forever and love her, I pray
Bless all the dear children in Thy tender care
And take us to heaven to live with Thee there

3 comments:

Hazel said...

Gorgeous card - I love everything about it, including the pop of red - thanks for joining in my CHNC challenge 62 - hope to see you again soon. x

Ellen Taylor said...

Fabulous job with the sketch! Love the colors and your embossed panel! Thanks for playing in the Stampin' Sisterhood Challenge!!

Catie Cuddles said...

Beautiful card and lovely to see the craft assisting you cope through the sadness.