Sunday, May 6, 2012

Button Cluster Butterfly

It's a very stormy day here today. I started a card using a kaleidoscope of colour suggested by Simon Says Stamp and Show, but tornado warnings came up for the area where my son lives and that changed things. My card was nearly finished, but I started making phone calls to his phone and his wife's. When I couldn't get either of them, all I could do was pray for their safety and watch the TV for any news. Finally, his wife called me that their adventure was over. They were in a theater a few blocks from their home. My son said his phone vibrated with a call from his wife's mother then from me and he knew that meant there must be a tornado. The theater stopped The Avengers and said there was no safe place for them to go so they decided to race for the safety of their own basement. Thankfully the warning expired. When it was over I realized I had been unconsciously singing "Trusting Jesus."

My goal with this card was to make it colorful for a child in the hospital for the challenge this week at Send a Smile 4 Kids, using buttons, ribbon, and or flowers. I was also inspired by Challenge #108 at Craft Your Passion, to use Lots of Texture. The versatile sketch #164 at Card Patterns provided the structure.



The texture was provided by a Sizzix embossing folder, textured cardstock, and lots of buttons on the butterfly. Initially it was cut on the Cricut to match the stamp set. After stamping the spots and flower shapes I matched buttons to each shape. On the largest flower shapes I used two flowers punched out of the same purple paper as the heart circle diecut. The smallest dots were covered with Stickles for some glittery texture. I know that the little girls I used to teach would have loved this colorful, textured card. It's not my usual style, but thanks to the lovely ladies who dream up these challenges, I stepped outside my box.

Challenges:
Send a Smile 4 Kids - Buttons, Ribbons, and/or Flowers
Simon Says Stamp and Show - use a Kaleidoscope of Colour
Craft Your Passion Challenge #108 - Lots of Texture
Card Patterns Sketch #164

5.5" x 4.25" Kids card recipe:
Paper - Basic Grey "Color Me Silly" and "Euphoria"(purple); Close To My Heart Twilight and Colonial White Textured cardstock
Stamps - CTMH "Love clusters" (butterfly), "A Little Buzz" (sentiment)
Inks - CTMH Black, Twilight, Sunflower
Other - Spellbinder's Heart Circle die, Sizzix Floral Flourish embossing folder, MME Lime Twist baker's twine, CTMH buttons and Glitz Glitter glue Stardust

3 comments:

Anna-Karin said...

That must have been very scary. I am glad that they were safe. Your card is gorgeous! Love the butterfly with the buttons and the vibrant colours. Thank you for playing along Card Patterns!

happyglitzygirl said...

GReat card, wonderful details, thanks for playing with us at SAS4Kids, blessings Hilde

Lucianna Dilsaver said...

I love the combination of buttons and your fun bright colors, really pretty card! Thanks for sharing it with us this week @ SAS 4 Kids for our "Buttons, ribbons and/or flowers" Challenge :)