Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Vintage Christmas Card

"Thanks be to God for His indescribable gift!" 2 Corinthians 9:15 
 
I sometimes remind my children on Christmas day that there was one Christmas when I was 16 that the only gift I received was a pair of gloves. Strangely, or perhaps thankfully, I didn't resent that. I knew that my dad had been out of work a lot and we were lucky to be able to make the house payments. I was much older than my 5 siblings, so I usually considered that they needed the joy of receiving like I had experienced for many years. We spent most of the day at my aunt's house with a very large extended family, which was always what I enjoyed the most. In addition, I had tried to focus on the real meaning of Christmas, the gift of God's Son who came to die as the perfect sacrifice and take the punishment for man's sins. Hopefully, this vintage Christmas card will share some of that message when I send it in December.
 
I was inspired by this sketch at Sketch N Stash and their optional theme of Vintage:
 
 
I was also inspired by this lovely digital image of Madonna and Christ child that I found at Vintage Holiday Crafts.  I printed it on Kodak matte photo paper. Here's the link to their Christmas Nativity images with Baby Jesus.
 
 
I used papers with browns and golds that I either inked or scissor distressed on the edges. I felt that having the muted earthtone background colors helped the rich colors of the vintage art to stand out more. Both the sentiment on the front and this verse inside were stamped with black ink. The inside verse is from "His Gift" by Our Daily Bread Designs.
 
 
I'm sharing this card with the following challenges:
Sketch N Stash #1 - sketch plus vintage
C.R.A.F.T.  #190 - Christmas in January
Winter Wonderland - Vintage (Christmas)
Christmas Cards All Year Round - January Anything Goes
One Crazy Stamper - January Anything Goes
Pretty Little Ribbon Shop #18 - Flowers and Ribbon
 
6.5" x 5" Christmas Card Recipe:
Paper - Basic Grey "Curio;" Close To My Heart "La Belle Vie," "Sonoma," Colonial White Cardstock; Kodak matte photo paper
Stamps - Close To My Heart "Christmas Scripts" (front); Our Daily Bread Designs "His Gift" (inside)
Digital Image - Vintage Holiday Crafts
Ink - Close To My Heart Black, Cocoa
Accents - CTMH Opaque pearls; Petaloo Vintage flower pack; gold organdy from my stash
Tool - Stampin'Up ticket corner punch
 
 
 


7 comments:

downrightcrafty said...

gorgeous vintage and so pretty, thank you for joining us at the Winter Wonderland
Hugs Kate xx

brenda said...

A super creation for our 'Flowers and Ribbon' theme Vickie.

Thanks so much sharing your inspiration with us at Pretty Little Ribbons challenge.

B x

Sue said...

A gorgeous vintage card. Thank you for joining us at One Crazy Stamper this month.

Sheryl said...

A beautiful vintage card which reflects the true spirit of Christmas.
Thanks for joining us at CRAFT this week, hope you join us again next time.
Hugs Sheryl xx

Janet - aka stacky said...

Such a beautiful card and lovely verse. Thank you for joining in the fun with us at Sketch n Stash x

Ciska said...

I love your DP, it's so gorgeous! Great combination with the traditional image. Thank you for playing with us this month @ CCAYR!

Jenny said...

Beautiful! Thanks for sharing with us at Pretty Little Ribbon Shop this time :) Jen xx