Monday, February 25, 2013

Snow Tweet

The big white flakes are coming down again. Last week we had 9 or 10 inches of snow. This storm is supposed to bring our area 8 - 12 more inches. This is when I'm really glad I'm retired and no longer teaching in the city. However, I still find myself reading the school closings as they scroll across the TV screen while I'm supposed to be reorganizing my craft room. So I decided it was a better use of my time to make a snowy themed card.

I was filing away some old striped and polka dotted paper when I remembered the challenge at Cards in Envy. One of their requirements is to make a card no thicker than 1/4." I decided to combine this with the masculine card theme of wintertime at Cards for Men, using this Critter Sketch 153, rotated vertically:

 
 
I adore this snowman with his bird friends from CDS. I've been watching cardinals, bluejays, and chickadees on my patio today having a feeding frenzy where we put out bird seed on top of the snow, in a feeder, and on the birdbath. So this card is an expression of my day today.

To keep the embellishments masculine and not very thick, I used simple layers, like white twill layered with brown checked ribbon and Martha Stewart snowflakes matted with kraft Cricut shadows and a red spot of punched paper in the center - no sparkles or pearls that I'd put for girls. I also scissor distressed the white mat under the striped paper. The sentiment ovals were punched. I didn't have a die the right size for the main image, so I estimated the size, cut Oval4 using Cricut Art Philosophy, then I lined my colored image on the mat in place of the oval and the Cricut did the rest.

For my friends in the midwest - May you be warm, safe, and off the roads during the next two days of snow!

I'm sharing this card with the following challenges:
Cards for Men #4 - Wintertime
Cards in Envy February Challenge - polka dots and/or stripes
Critter Sketch Challenge #153 - sketch above
Digi Haven - Snow/Snowflakes
Digi Makeover Challenge #77 - Stripes

6.5" x 5" Card Recipe:
Image and Sentiment - CDS "Snow Tweet" blue colored image
Paper - CTMH retired Star Spangled Blue patterned paper, white daisy and kraft cardstock; red dp scrap unknown
Accents - white twill and checked ribbon from stash
Tools - printer, Marvy Uchida scalloped oval punches, Cricut Art Philosophy, Martha Stewart snowflake punch, 1/8" punch




 

8 comments:

Marilyn's Cricut Crafts said...

What a handsome snowman! Love his little red bird friends. How clever to use your Cricut to make the oval cut around the snowman image. Lovely snowy-day card. Thank you for joining us at Cards in Envy - hope to see you again soon.

Traci Cooley said...

Cute card, I came over from the Critter Sketch Blog.

chrissy xx said...

Super cute image! FABulous colours ...I LOve your snowflakes too.
Thank you sooo much for joining us at Digi Haven.
Chrissyxx

Lisa Jane said...

oh whata cute little snowman .. and a fab layout
Thanks for joining us at cards for men this fortnight
Lisa x

jan farnworth said...

what a fun snowmen card nice job with the stripes thanks for sharing at digimake over with pms.

Michelle B. said...

How cute! Love the blue, great way to showcase the snowflakes too! So glad you joined us for our Wintertime Challenge at Cards for Men!

Denise@DigiHaven said...

What a cute card and you were able to enter this into both of my Challenges .. Digi Haven and Cards in Envy. Well Done! I love the image and the colors you chose. Your design is wonderful and really follows that sketch! We're having our second card sketch at Cards in Envy starting on Monday. Please join us! We'd love to see more of your designs. ♥ Denise

sgc said...

I'm a retired teacher also, and I SO agree with you about listening to cancelled school announcements! I used to love those snow days; not so much now:) This is an adorable card. Thanks for playing in the Critter Sketch Challenge.