Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Twist of Faith #35 - Trees

This week's Twist of Faith #35 challenge theme is:
TREES!
We want to see trees in your creation.
Your creation should also include a scripture, uplifting verse or positive words/quote 


Our sponsor for this week is Eureka Stamps! Please check out some of their other tree sets used by our design team members at Twist of Faith this week.

I have been in love with trees as long as I can remember. I love their skeletal silhouettes in winter as well as their foliage during the growing season. In the fall my hubbie and I take photo trips to capture their brilliant colors in the landscape. My favorite verse about trees from Psalms 1:1-3 was a little long to put on the front of my card:

1. Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful.
2. But his delight is in the law of the Lord; and in his law doth he meditate day and night.
3. And he shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water, that bringeth forth his fruit in his season; his leaf also shall not wither; and whatsoever he doeth shall prosper.

That was the passage I was thinking about when I chose this image. It looks like a really strong tree. I placed it on a hillside at sunset, the best time of day to see black silhouettes of trees. I kept the rest of the card simple so it would highlight the scene and the sentiment, which came from Amy Carmichael, the author and missionary to India a century ago. She opened an orphanage and started a fellowship to help over 1,000 children in India, especially young girls who were enslaved in Hindu temples. Her life story is amazing and inspiring. Her quote on the front of my card is closely related to the passage in Psalms. Difficulties may come, but as Christians they should move us closer to God and His Word for help and respite. Ultimately, those difficulties only make us stronger like the tree.


I kept my card simple so it wouldn't detract from the tree or the message. I also hoped it could be masculine. All of the materials used are from Close To My Heart. I sponged Honey, Sunset, Slate, and Black inks  to make the background. I used torn paper placed over the lower half to ink first the sky, then used the other half of the torn paper to cover the boundary of the sky and ink the hillside with slate and black. The mats are Sunflower textured cs and Sunset Dotty For You. In the corners I put Sunset Button Brads which are recessed in the center, where I added Black Sparkles. I used Adobe Photoshop to add the tree and the text at the bottom after I inked the background. You could do the same with a Word document if you choose 4" x 6" for the size and insert a picture and text box.

I tried to make my sky look like storm clouds are gathering at sunset, like this photo from For Your Inspiration Challenge #44 that was my inspiration:


May God bless you through the stormy times of life and show you the path to strength in Him!  I'm looking forward to seeing

I'm sharing this card with the following challenges:
Charisma Cardz #16 - Polka dots
Craft Your Passion #160- add text
For Your Inspiration #44 - photo and colors
Happy Campers #15 - use a mask or stencil (torn paper mask to sponge the sky and hill)
Papertake Weekly - weather (storm clouds gathering at sunset)
Pumpkin Spice #17 - nature
Word Art Wednesday #77 - anything goes with encouraging, uplifting sentiment
Word Play Saturday for April - weather ( I tried to make storm clouds gathering)


 

14 comments:

Lorraine A said...

Gorgeous card Vickie :-) the whole design is fabulous ,, such a lovely scene :-)

thanks for joining us on the PTW :-)
luv
Lols x x x

Vanessa (aka V'ness, Nessa, oldschool) said...

So lovely!
Thank you for joining us at charisma!!!

Karen (carefree creations) said...

Awesome sponging! Thanks for playing along at For Your Inspiration!

Judy said...

What a stunning card! Love the design and sentiment. How uplifting this will be for someone!

xo

Jo Ann said...

This is so wonderful...I have that tree image and it's great how you made use of it in your project. Thanks for blessing us with your artwork at Word Art Wednesday. Please join us again as we start another Challenge today. God bless!

JO ANN
http://jatterburycreations.blogspot.com

Deanna said...

Such a beautiful card with such a lovely sentiment~hugs Deanna

Mynn xx said...

This is gorgeous! LOVE the sky you created and I adore the tree with the ribbon anchor! That sentiment is amazing, too! Thanks for joining us at FYI! :)

PS: I've got a DT call going at House of Cards (a new challenge) and would love it if you'd consider entering! :)

Michelle said...

Beautiful, Vickie! Wow! Thanks for joining us at FYI! I hope you join in with us again soon!

Michelle said...

Very beautifull. Lovely colours.
Thanks for joining us at Craft your Passion.
xxx Michelle

Sara Mac said...

This is a wonderful card. Your sponged bg looks gorgeous. So glad you joined us at FYI.

dstandard said...

This is just gorgeous! Thanks for playing at FYI!

Ellibelle said...

What an amazing card! Love the sentiment, and the beautifully sponged sky. Thanks so much for playing along in my word play saturday challenge!

Dorothy S said...

I saw this on Twist of Faith and just had to tell you how much I like the sky/clouds. Lovely card.

Zella said...

Beautiful card, love the sponging and your tree looks so petty. Absolutely lovely!