Sunday, July 14, 2013

Show Your Patriotism July Blog Hop

Our Close To My Heart group, "Stampers with an Attitude," is having a patriotic blog hop! You may have come here from Cat Norwak's blog. I wanted to join in and share a 12" x 12" layout I just made with photos from a trip to Washington, DC, which included the World War II Memorial. I used the new Cricut Artbooking cartridge to make the background and embellishments using Cranberry, Outdoor Denim, Colonial White, Bamboo, and Desert Sand cardstock with no patterned paper.

I know it won't be available for two more weeks, but I just had to use sketch #6 from Vol. 2 of the Make It From Your Heart sketch book. I looked over the thumbnail sketches in the front and found the one that fit the general orientation of the photos I wanted to use. Like all of our How-To books, it's always my quickest way to make a layout.


Left page:

All of the papers were sponged on the edges with Cocoa ink. The background stripes were made using p. 53 (10" Real Dial Size, Overlay <y>). The starry flourishes on the bottom border were cut using p. 65 (10" Border <k>). This cut included some additional stars, but I thought I used enough without them.

The title was made using Keyboard Kraft Alphabet stickers and the Artbooking title from page 64 (Title key, shift <j>). The photo doesn't show it but I pop dotted the word "cost" for emphasis. The title mat also has a star border from p. 83 (Border <All Star>).

Right page:


I cut one of the star borders at 1-1/4" to use as a mask. I used the stipple brush from the Texture Tools, dabbed it in Desert Sand ink, held the mask tightly in place, and dabbed away, coloring around the stars.

I discovered that I needed to set the size on my Cricut at 11" to get the photo mat on this page to print for a 4" x 6" photo. Some of the other features I cut using the Real Dial Size feature. The only Cricut embellishment that wasn't from Artbooking is the banner on top. Using Cricut Art Philosophy, I cut circles that were 2", 1-3/4," and 1-1/2" then folded in half and adhered with the baker's twine inside.  I also added Durables Round antique gold Studs and Cranberry Baker's Twine from the Harvest Assortment. It's perfect for Patriotic layouts because of the way it's striped like the flag.




Thank you for visiting! You can keep on hopping by going to Di Crawford's blog. Here's the entire list in case you missed someone.

  1. Debbie Andrews ~ www.debstampsfromtheheart.com
  2. Jen Patrick: http://roxybonds-scrappin.blogspot.com
  3. Sheila Bennett ~ http://sheila-bennett.blogspot.com
  4. Denise Elliott~ http://www.inspiredbyctmh.blogspot.com/
  5. Pamela O'Connor - http://reflectionsofmyartandsoul.com/blog
  6. Kimberly Moss - www.kimspapercrafts.com
  7. LaJeania Hicks - www.scraptilyoudrop.blogspot.com
  8. Becky McClain ~ www.beckysstudio-cards.blogspot.com
  9. Jaime Llewellyn ~ www.JaimeLlewellyn.blogspot.com
  10. Melinda Everitt ~ www.ifyoublingit.blogspot.com
  11. Angela Garcia ~ http://angelascraftcloset.blogspot.com
  12. Cat Nowak ~ http://catscrapbooking.wordpress.com
  13. Vickie ODell ~ www.heartfulstamper.blogspot.com (that's me, you're here)
  14. Di Crawford~ http://scrapwithdi.blogspot.com/
  15. Barbi Kelley ~ www.BarbisPaperCreations.blogspot.com

I'm sharing this project with the following challenges:
A Gem of a Challenge #88 - Spots, Stripes or both
Mema's Crafts July Challenge - anything goes with twist: Patriotism/Red, White, Blue
Our Creative Corner - Captured Memories (with photos)
Pollycraft - Stars and Stripes
Rhedd and Rosie Challenge - Summer
Ribbon Carousel #83 - Show your country's pride (and colors)
Stuck On You Sketches - Die Cut Flourish

 

20 comments:

Melinda Everitt said...

OMG! What incredible artwork! I haven't seen such a pretty layout and your use of the new Cricut cartridge was amazing!

LaJeania Hicks said...

I love your layout! We were just in DC last week and visited the memorials. I might have to scraplift your layout. I love the way you used the cartridge on it. Great Job!

Kimberly Williams Moss said...

Vicki love your use of the kraft!! Nice job using the Artbooking cartridge!!

Angela Garcia said...

That is just stunning! I adore the subtle sponging you've done around the edges, just beautiful!

Zoe said...

Thank you for joining in Rhedd and Rosie's challenge, good luck, Zoe DT xx

Jen Patrick said...

Your layout is awesome! I feel like it was just yesterday that we were in DC, on that same tour! So fun!

Melissa Latchem said...

Lovely layout! Thanks for entering the Rhedd and Rosie's Challenge and good luck! Melissa (DT) xxx

Sheila said...

That is gorgeous! Perfect flourish to add to this awesome layout! Mthanks for joining us at SOUS sketches!

Casandra Bennett said...

I'm so glad I stuck through this blog hop even when my computer was giving me troubles. This is such a great layout! Love it.

Di Crawford said...

You're so talented. Thanks for sharing! My favorite part is the subtle stars stippling. Beautiful!

Moira Gray said...

Great layout, and great memories.

Thanks for joining us at Rhedd & Rosie Challenge Blog.

Moira DT.

Denise Elliott said...

Great layout! Don't you love the new vol 2 of Make It From Your Heart?!? Love how you used just cardstock for this.

NancyK said...

Wowzers!

Brenda said...

Wow!! I love this layout!! Those star flourishes are amazing! Can't wait to get my hands on this cartridge! Thanks for joining us at SOUS;-)

Donna Mosley said...

A fab LO, love the details. The stars look amazing. Thanks for joining us at Pollycraft. Good Luck!

Donna x

Mema's Crafts said...

I absolutely love this design and the layout. Thank you so much for taking time to enter our challenge at Mema's Crafts. We hope you will come back soon.

Melissa said...

Gorgeous layout, love the use of your flourish, thanks for joining SOUS!

Margie said...

A lovely layout with a lot of meaning behind it too. Thanks so much for sharing it with us at Our Creative Corner. Margie x

Amy C said...

I love your layout!! Your project is the Fabulous Find Friday over at the Ribbon Carousel blog (http://blog.ribboncarousel.com/). Congrats and don't forget to grab your badge!! Thanks for playing along with us!!

Hugs,
Amy

Linda Coughlin, the funkie junkie said...

Wonderful layout. Love the patriotic theme and your red, white and blue color palette. Looks like it was a great trip. So happy to have you joining in the Memories challenge with us this month at Our Creative Corner.