Monday, January 13, 2014

Scripture and Hymn Challenge - I Need Thee Every Hour

Thirty-four years ago, just before the birth of my second child, my son, I told my pastor's wife that I was beginning to get nervous because my first birth experience was very long- 30 hours - and there was a long recovery after a high forceps delivery. After my son's birth I was supposed to start teaching her son in our Christian school. I couldn't afford to have problems, but my son was in the breach position at every doctor's visit. In addition, I've always been allergic to benzocaine or lidocaine that they give for pain, so I really had to have a natural birth.

My pastor's wife told me to focus on singing Scripture songs. She said that the verses would keep my spirit calm and the songs minister to our souls - mind, will, and emotions - where fear would reside. She was absolutely right. We had a 30 mile drive to the hospital. I sang my collection of Scripture songs silently during my entire two hours of labor, along with Lamaze breathing. No one thought I was having a baby. It was a short beautiful labor and delivery, happily memorable.  The doctor never made it in time and I never had to push. I could hardly believe I was holding a beautiful eight pound boy.  Now Scriptures and hymns are what I always love to turn to before surgeries or hospital procedures.

Today I have the flu, stomach and respiratory. I've been focusing on this hymn all day, acknowledging my need for God's help, healing, calming, and wisdom. You can check out the beautiful Bible verses and commentary by Patter Cross in her challenge for this hymn.  You can also see her list of links to all of the 2013 Hymn challenges here.

I found myself starting to feel really grouchy last week when I started getting sick. The verse I chose to highlight goes perfectly with the 2nd verse of the song: "Temptations lose their pow'r when thou art nigh." The stamped verse is from Our Daily Bread Designs:

"Great Peace have they who love your law and nothing can make them stumble." 

The lyric and the Scripture sound great to me when I'm praying not to be a grouch!



The orange and red tag were added so I could include my journaling about how this song relates to my life. My hope is that it will be an encouragement for me and my children when it's read.

(All of the pieces used on this project were scraps from my scrap box. The hymn itself was torn from an old 1950's falling apart hymnal that I had purchased for 50 cents at a 2nd hand store. My color choices came from the predominant colors that I've been using in the 9" x 9" album that I'm using for my hymn and scripture pages. I love the way CTMH papers, ribbons, inks, etc. can all match, like the juniper ribbon and ink I sponged on the chipboard flourish and sentiment and the flower center and brad. Both of the clock stamps are old, retired stamps from CTMH.)

I'm sharing this link with the following challenges:
All Sorts #241 - Use ribbon but no bows
Hiding in My Craft Room #132 - Super Scraps Saturday - papers were all from my scraps
Simply Create Too #52 - 2nd birthday!! Anything Goes
Triple the Scraps Hymn and Scripture Challenge #20
Word Art Wednesday #114 - anything goes with Scripture, uplifting verse


5 comments:

DianeMoneyGoolsby said...

Hi, Vickie: Love your beautiful project and story. One of my favorite gospel singers is Linda Ryndall who sings "God on the Mountain"--I was playing it over & over again a few minutes ago while working on my digis for next week--so beautiful and inspiring!

Thanks for entering our Challenge #52 – “Anything Goes” at Simply Create Too. Why not visit us again this coming Friday for our new challenge too.

Diane
Simply Create Too Design Team Member
http://DianesDigitalDesigns.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Vickie,
Where would we be without our faithful sweet old Hymns? When we agree with what God says, especially in song, things change. Thank you for this inspirational post and your beautiful page. I like using my scraps, because Jesus had the disciples gather the remnants from the fish and bread. Now we get to take home, the memory of this beautiful page form your scraps. It is delightful to see your wonderful art posted in this week’s creative challenge at Word Art Wednesday.
Blessings,
Carole Robb Bisson

Marjo said...

Lovely, thanks for sharing with us at Simply Create Too.
Hugz, Marjo

Sarah said...

Great project Vickie, love the details. Thank you for joining us at Allsorts this week for our Ribbon challenge x

Unknown said...

This is such a beautiful addition to your journal.
Thanks so much for sharing at HIMCR. We hope to see you back very soon!
hugs--
Roberta
Hiding in My Craft Room Design Team
Queen Bee Paper Crafts