Sunday, February 16, 2014

Love Each Other Card with Non-Traditional Colors

How nice it is to have a holiday when we celebrate love. In fact, my hubby and I spread out the celebration over three days, not just February 14th. My friends scrapbooked with me yesterday and the hostess made it Valentine themed even though it was February 15th. If we lived in a perfect world, we would celebrate love 365 days a year!  I love the fact that there are so many verses about love in the scriptures. When I did a search for the word love in the Bible, I came up with 484 results. The important ideas revolve around the truths that we love because we've been loved. Even as a very young child I learned the song that "Jesus Loves Me" and the verse "God is love." We are challenged to love others like Christ loved us with sacrificial love.

A few weeks ago, I went through my stamps from Our Daily Bread Designs and drew a red heart near each verse that had the word love or heart.  I chose one today that I hope would be appropriate for many types of cards, whether valentine, anniversary, wedding., or simply to show encouragement with love. The challenge at Our Daily Bread Designs began the idea of this card - to make a valentine or card about love with non-traditional colors. I used one of their sentiments as the focus.


I started mine with the tan background that is covered with loving phrases (Martha Stewart). I added a black sparkly doily cut in half for each side. A pale juniper background can hardly be seen in my photo (another cold, cloudy day) from MME "Lost and Found-Market Street." I added a juniper circle behind my verse for contrast. I added CTMH gold glitter paper strip and a gold edged ribbon. Two black glitter paper hearts and a black sparkle flourish were added for embellishment, both from CTMH. I was thinking about the upcoming wedding of my friend's daughter, Elizabeth, when I made this and hoped it would be elegant.

I'm sharing this card with the following challenges:
Crafting When We Can #63 - lots of bling
Our Daily Bread Designs Shining the Light #190 - Love-themed or Valentine, non-traditional colors
Paper Minutes #308 - Love is in the Air
Pile It On #7 - Sentiment as the Focus
Word Art Wednesday #119 - anything goes with uplifting verse

5 comments:

Chris Olsen, Glowbug said...

What a beautiful Valentine!! I just love the verse with the earthy tones and the touch of gold glitter. Such a beautiful layout!! Thanks for joining us at ODBD Shining the Light this week!!

CherylQuilts said...

Oh, Vickie, what a beautiful card for Valentine's with the nontraditional colors! I love the Scripture verse you've used and the great masculine colors and layout with details! So glad you've joined us this week for the ODBD Shining the Light challenge! Hugs!

Unknown said...

This is outstanding. Black pops everything. Thank you for sharing this lovely art with us. Please come back soon.
Blessings, Carole Word Art Wednesday DT

BethieJ said...

BEAUTIFUL Card!!
Thank You for joining us last week at PIO!!
Have a GREAT day!

Amy A said...

Such a beautiful card Vickie. Love the sparkly paper and the sentiment is so sweet. Thank you so much for joining as at Crafting When We can Challenges, sure hope you join us again.

Amy~DT