Sunday, March 6, 2016

Watercolor Blog Hop

Enhancing projects with watercolors has been so popular! Welcome to our blog hop highlighting ways to use your watercolor paints and/or watercolor pencils!  If you came from Michelle's blog you're on the right track.


My first project is a simple birthday card with watercolor background over the white embossed sentiment. I see this technique used a lot.  I used the largest CTMH flat watercolor brush  and two paint colors closest to Crystal Blue and Thistle used in the Penelope paper pack. I wanted to make an arched shape. It's not a slow laborious process. I think it looks better if you simply go back and forth quickly leaving informal edges on the sides.


I wiped a little excess paint off the embossed sentiment. It's best to emboss first. If you do it afterward, the embossing powder can stick to any still-damp areas that were painted.

After I painted it I loaded a smaller rounded brush tip with water and flicked it on top of my painted arcs by tapping the brush, point down, over the intended area.



On my second card I gold embossed a leafy background stamp, then brushed the entire surface of the panel with water. With the wide flat brush I brushed on two colors of watercolor paint that were a pear green and turquoise. They blended with the water and each other. I let them almost dry before wiping excess paint off the gold embossed leaves.

I stamped the butterflies with black Stazon ink before the next watercolor technique.  I cut them out leaving a thin white border that I wanted to stay white. So I used the smallest round detail brush to paint the butterflies with three colors, light orange, darker orange, and bright pink. I dipped the brush in a little water to blend the colors.

If you'd like to use any of these stamps you should check out this month's Stampaganza special: Buy two stamp sets and get the third set free! See details here.

Thanks for visiting! Now you're ready to see the artsy example Tracey has for you.

6.5" x 5" Birthday Card Recipe:
Ink - Versamark

4.25" x 5.5" Anniversary Card Recipe;

8 comments:

Kirsten Desorcy said...

Awe. Both cards are just so cute!

Lauren said...

These are both beautiful- I especially love the cupcake one!

Michelle Battitori said...

Very pretty cards!

Gina Brandstetter said...

Love you cards! Especially the cupcake card! It turned out really cute!

Jean McNulty said...

Gorgeous cards!!!

Lisa Plummer said...

The flecks of darker watercolor really add a lot to that cupcake card! And I LOVE the gold embossed flowers paired with the watercolors!!! Great job.

Helen Gullett said...

Both are gorgeous cards!! I love the watercolor wash behind those cupcakes :D

Catherine Nowak said...

Love the cupcake card with the splatters. The gold embossed card is so elegant with the watercolors.