Thursday, March 8, 2012

Beauty for Ashes - MOJO Monday 231

About 15 years ago I adopted Isaiah 61:3 as a life verse. After going through a lot of difficulties, I felt my life was greatly blessed. I even made a layout of photos taken in my garden which I titled Beauty for Ashes. I made this card with that verse from Verve, hoping to pass that great truth on to someone else. I used the beautiful color combination suggested by the Color Throwdown Challenge #182 using the papers from MyMind's Eye Stella & Rose-Mabel collection.


The MOJO Monday Sketch #231 worked well with this verse and these colors.



With this special scripture, I'm linking this card to Scripture Thursday #19 at Little Birdie Blessings. I'm currently encouraging another young woman who's facing many trials. I love the part of the verse that says "a garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness." It goes along with a hymn I think of a lot "Count Your Blessings." You hear a lot of people say that you should count your blessings, but this hymn says to do this while you're going through the trial and you'll be singing and getting help and comfort.

  • When upon life's billows you are tempest tossed,
    When you are discouraged, thinking all is lost,
    Count your many blessings name them one by one,
    And it will surprise you what the Lord hath done.

    • Count your blessings, name them one by one;
      Count your blessings, see what God hath done;
      Count your blessings, name them one by one,
      And it will surprise you what the Lord hath done.
  • Are you ever burdened with a load of care?
    Does the cross seem heavy you are called to bear?
    Count your many blessings, every doubt will fly,
    And you will be singing as the days go by.


  • When you look at others with their lands and gold,
    Think that Christ has promised you His wealth untold.
    Count your many blessings, money cannot buy
    Your reward in heaven, nor your Lord on high.


  • So amid the conflict, whether great or small,
    Do not be discouraged, God is over all;
    Count your many blessings, angels will attend,
    Help and comfort give you to your journey's end.



  • Source: http://www.hymnal.net/hymn.php/h/707#ixzz1oYPDRBhv

    5" x 6.5" Card Recipe:
    Paper - My Mind's Eye -Stella & Rose "Mabel;" Close To My Heart Colonial White CS; Bazzill CS (brown)
    Stamps - Verve "Isaiah 61:3 Plain Jane," "Hope Blooms"(flowers)
    Ink - Ranger Vintage Photo; Close To My Heart Cranberry (sponged around text semi-circle, flower edges)
    Other - Close To My Heart Cranberry brads, Buttons Red Collection, Waxy Flax- Chocolate, Juniper ribbon

    4 comments:

    Little Birdie Blessings said...

    Hi Vickie, What a beautiful card you've made to hold your life verse. I know woman you're reaching out to will be blessed because of you. This is one of my favorite hymns. Thanks for all that you share here, and for linking this to Scripture Thursday. ~ Abby

    Carol said...

    Your card is beautiful! What a wonderful verse and the song goes great with it too!

    Chris Dring said...

    What a gorgeous card and verse!

    Joan Ervin said...

    This is gorgeous...you have used the perfect papers and I love the beautiful tag!!! Thanks for joining us for the Color Throwdown!!!!