Saturday, March 3, 2012

Fashionable Stamping for a Child

Birthday Sundaes Challenge #45 said to "Get Messy" with inks, sprays, or paints. This challenge combined well with Fashionable Stamping Challenge #16 - for a child. Since I have five grandsons, I seem to regularly need a "boy" card, so the "messy look" is great. I wanted to use a stamp set that had a boy and a tree, so the sketch from CPS #254 had the right dimensions for the tall tree. I made the card 7" x 5."



I used some Basic Grey paper from "Color Me Silly" that already looked painted and I tried a fun technique to make the red and white polka dot paper and the white cardstock look like it matched.  First I wrapped a piece of something used to caulk walls before painting around my rubber brayer. I don't know the name, but it's slightly sticky and has a nice texture. I inked it using Shabby Shutters the first time and Broken China the second time. By rolling it back and forth a couple of times across the red strip, if you don't lift it, the lines stay in the same place. For more lines I reinked and rolled again.


When I rolled it across the white, I had to make sure that the exposed brayer that wasn't covered with texture was outside the boundary each time or I would have gotten a thick dark streak instead of texture in that spot. Here's a closeup of the red spotted paper and the white mat before I added the sentiment.



I used 4 different stamps from this Childhood Portrait set to create the scene. In addition, the red vertical panel was embossed on the cuttlebug. I put two layers of pop dots under the left side of the sentiment.

7" x 5" card recipe:
Paper - Basic Grey "Color Me Silly" and "June Bug;" CTMH White Daisy CS; Black CS
Stamps - CTMH "Childhood Portrait," "Card Chatter-Birthday"
Inks - Ranger Shabby Shutters, Broken China; Memento Tuxedo Black
Other - Cuttlebug Flower Dots(?) embossing folder, brayer, pop dots

7 comments:

Kirsty Vittetoe said...

So beautiful!!!!

Claire said...

Gorgeous card, I love the effect you've created with your brayer and that image is beautiful. Thanks for joining us at Fashionable Stamping Challenges
Claire xx

Ephemera said...

Beautiful card, love the colours and great idea using the mesh. Lovely to see you at FSC. xx

Lea L. said...

Such a sweet card...love the silhouetted image! Thanks for playing along with CPS sketch 254!!

Silvia(Barnie) said...

Great technique and a wonderful card. Such a beautiful image. Thanks for joining us at FSC this fortnight.

Mynn xx said...

I think this is amazing! LOVE the technique you've used for this--so amazing! LOVE the soft feel it brings to your bright colors! :)

Lynne Moncrieff said...

Wonderful colours and images.
Thank you for sharing with us at FSC.
Wishes
Lynne