Monday, March 26, 2012

The greatest of these is love

I remember that I memorized 1 Corinthians 13:1-13 when I was the magical age of 13. Back then we always memorized scripture in the King James Version. I still prefer the poetic sound of so many of those I learned in that version. The last verse in a modernized version is the Word Art Wednesday selection for this week. I really love going to their site because they truly arrange favorite verses and quotes in a tasteful, artistic design for anyone to use. Because the verse was long horizontally I chose to use the sketch from Taylored Expressions Sketch Challenge 155. I drew that sketch in my sketch notebook last Friday and designed from it up in my craft room. Then I came downstairs to the computer to write this blog and save their sketch here and voila! It was the same color as the card I designed upstairs. Such serendipity!



I feel so blessed because I grew up in a loving home with a large, loving extended family. As I grew older and came to see the homes so many others came from, I felt so very lucky and knew I wanted to share that love with others. I was told in college that it would be difficult to get a teaching job in the suburbs, that the only openings could be in the inner city. So I entered a program to learn how to teach in the inner city. I spent a weekend in Wayne Minor Housing Addition where I saw families who slept on the floor, children who tied ropes around rats and played with them until they decided to hang them on trees with nails. The hallways were so dangerous that the security guards talked to each other by walky talky as they walked from one end of a hallway to the other to be sure they were OK. That weekend I was lucky enough to stay with a Christian family. We openly shared our faith with each other and I left with a deep fondness for them at the end of the weekend.

I also became aware that there was no easy remedy for the crime, hardship and poverty that seemed to hold my students back educationally. This world is desparately in need of Christ's love and my prayer is that He will love others through me wherever He places me from day to day. Christ said if we love Him we are to feed His sheep. I hope He'll give you someone to "feed" with His Word and His love as you go through your day. And may God bless you as you do.

6.5" x 5" Card Recipe:
Paper - Close To My Heart "Stella" (turquoise and red dp); Martha Stewart (pink with hearts); (I don't remember the source of the scrap with the grid and hearts); Black cardstock
Other - CTMH Cricut Art Philosophy (red shape), Just Blooms, Red/Pink Sparkles; red heart buttons, turquoise baker's twine

2 comments:

Karen Letchworth said...

Your card is very sweet. I love the sweet buttons tied with jute. Thanks SO much for sharing this beautiful art with us at Word Art Wednesday. We're blessed to see that you've used the free word art, and we hope you will come back this Wednesday for a new piece of word art and another great challenge. Have a wonderful week, and good luck!
Blessings to you,
Karen L - Social Media Coordinator
Word Art Wednesday
karen-mycuprunnethover.blogspot.com

Tracy said...

Vickie this is beautiful! You've captured the sketch so well. I absolutely LOVE this verse. Thank you for sharing it with us and your inspiration.
Hugs,
Tracy