Saturday, February 27, 2016

My 3 Amigos Sombrero Layout

When I saw the Fiesta challenge at Bitten By the Bug2 on Monday I had two old photos from 1963 sitting on my desk. I had no idea what I'd do with them, but they reminded me of my sisters and the time my grandfather encouraged me to learn to speak Spanish. I didn't think I had any Cricut cuts that might go with the theme of Fiesta, but thanks to "Destinations" and "Graphically Speaking" I came up with a couple.



I had already cut up four pieces of Basic Grey "June Bug" that I hadn't used, but could pass as a Mexican fiesta design, so here's the result:


I used the Graphically speaking hat and words as my title and combined it with cactus from the other cartridge. I'm guessing from my brief introduction to Spanish in 4th, 5th and 6th grades that maybe "amigos" is masculine, but it didn't worry me since I think it was a play on words from a movie or show. I added stickers to make the word "my."


The Destinations cartridge had the cactus and the adobe Spanish mission church with the words New Mexico, but it was easy enough to cut out the word "New" since my grandparents had just brought back the sombreros from Mexico.


Here's my cut file in case you use the Cricut Explore.  I used CTMH papers: New England Ivy, Lagoon, Poppy, and some retired scraps of beach paper and dotted gray.

I'm not sure if my grandfather would have been as proud of me becoming proficient in French instead of Spanish, but I wish I could have told him what an influence he had on me guiding me to higher education and to enjoy people from different cultures all over the world.

I'm also sharing this project with the following challenges:
I WON
Bitten By The Bug 2 - Fiesta theme
Crafty Boots Challenge - no stamps allowed
Crafty Girls Creations #15 - anything goes
PDE Linky Party #112 - anything goes

10 comments:

Dee's Craft Room said...

Stunning layout Vickie, wonderful bright, happy colours and vibrant design. Thank you for sharing your work with all of us at Crafty Boots Challenges.

Dionne

L.B. said...

This layout is wonderful and so great for the sentiment you used.

Caroline said...

You did such a great job on your fiesta layout. Wow, amazingly cute...the paper you used goes so well with the theme and I just love those pictures! Thanks for joining us at BBTB2.

moknowsall said...

and suddenly what is old is new again. Beautiful layout of your old memories (photos). Love what you did in creating just the perfect cricut cuts for your layout... thanks for joining our BBTB Fiesta challenge. I will download your file, i would like to use these in my Mexico layouts. Very cleaver by the way to take out the New in New Mexico.

maureen
moknowsallcrafts.blogspot.com

Janis Lewis said...

This is a fantastic double layout! Thanks for joining us at PDE Linky Party.
DT Janis
Pause Dream Enjoy, My Blog
Sunny Day Crafting, Photo Inspiration Chs
Paper Play Sketches, Sketch Chs
PDE Linky Party, Anything Goes Linky Party

Kathy Salido said...

What a fantastic layout!! Love the papers. Thanks for linking up at PDE Linky Party.
Kathy PDE DT

Susan Edwards said...

Vicki I just love this great layout and FABULOUS papers you used. Thank you for joining us at BBTB2 and congratulations on being our Project of the Week winner!!! Email me at spartansus@gforcecable.com and I will send you the winner button for your blog.

Thank you,
Susan

Brenda said...

OMGosh, your layout is fabulous Vicki! I love the papers you used as well as the die cuts. But it was your story that I loved so much along with the pictures. Thanks for joining us at BBTB2 on the fiesta challenge. Hugs, Brenda

Laurie Levorson said...

Your layout is just stunning! The Cricut cuts are perfect for complementing your fabulous pictures and memories! Thanks for joining us at BBTB2!

Karla Yungwirth said...

This is such a great layout! Love the colours! Thanks so much for joining us at PDE Linky Party! Hugs, DT Karla