Saturday, June 2, 2012

A New Technique for Masculine Graduation Card

Stampin' Sisters in Christ Challenge this week was to try something you've been afraid to try. It went with a devotional on these verses:
SCRIPTURE:
"The Lord is on my side; I will not fear:
what can man do unto me?" Psalm 118:6."
 
My son just graduated with honors after many years of going to school part-time, changing majors over and over, working, and being a husband and father. When he finally started going full time, he would call me on his way to school in the mornings to pray for him as he took a hard test. We spent hours talking about what to do to be successful. After so much effort he knows what it takes to be successful, but he also saw God at work when he was feeling sick or hadn't had much sleep. Going to college can certainly give a person confidence as well as help them know what it takes to get a job done and to do it well. I was happy to see him grow in the realization that God had given him an amazing mind that could be taught to learn and do anything.
 
This is his graduation card that I made using a new stamp from Clear Dollar Stamps called ConGrads.
 
 
 
 
I always wanted to try multi-fold cards, but was apparently hesitant, since I hadn't. I made this card using a technique I found on Splitcoast Stampers. It always looked hard, but once I rewrote the directions so that I could understand and duplicate, I was surprised at how easy it really was. I used Chupa's sketch #62 for the main part of my stair step card. Another item I'd been hesitant to use was cork letters and shapes that I've had quite a while. The challenge at There She Goes, "Cork It," gave me that little push to try it. I lightly inked the edges of the star.
 


Here are the challenges I used for this card:

Cards for Men - #11 - Congratulations
Lexi's Creations - For the Man/Boy in our lives
Stampin' Sisters in Christ - Do Something on your card you're afraid of

 
5.5" x 5.5" Stair step Graduation Card Recipe:
Paper - Close To My Heart Passages paper pack, White Daisy cardstock (diploma)
Stamp - Clear Dollar Stamps "ConGrads"
Ink - CTMH Barn Red
Other - Copic E33, CTMH Color Ready Cork Alphabet, Color Ready Cork Shapes, ribbon scrap, pop dots, 1.75" circle punch, Sizzix embossing folder Diamonds on Diamonds
 

5 comments:

Michelle B. said...

Beautiful card and well done on the Stair fold! The cork is a fab addition for adding texture! So glad you joined us for our "Congratulations" challenge at Cards for Men!

Wanda Cullen said...

Congrats to your son! What a special card you created...a perfect masculine card! Our minds were in the same channel with this sketch and using the 2012 in the sentiment space. I swear I never saw your card prior to making mine - lol! I loved your use of cork - adds such wonderful texture!

Iwona Palamountain (Chupa) said...

Fantastic masculine card! How I love these cork numbers and shapes...

Jo said...

Congrats to your Son!Fab card, lovely colours, great texture.Thanks for joining us at Lexi's CReations this time and good luck!
Hugs Jo x
DT

Diane Noble said...

Lots of congratulations are in order! First to your son, and then to you for winning the Shining Star Award at Stampin' Sisters in Christ for this entry a couple weeks ago. I just made the connection today when I was looking back on some of our challenges at SSIC, saw your name on the winners post and realized the connection to Clear Dollar Stamps too. So I just wanted to come by and say hi, tell you how much I enjoy your artwork wherever I find it!!!