Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Christmas Is Sharing - Pear and Partridge Card

It's only mid-October, but I suddenly have that passion to make lots of Christmas cards. This card expresses a sentiment I love, that Christmas is Sharing.

I grew up in a large family with lots of aunts, uncles and cousins. We had large family dinners for every holiday and any Sunday in between. By the time I was twelve or thirteen, I didn't even care any more if I had any gifts. I was more interested in trying to make gifts to give my family. Grandmothers and aunts taught me to cook all kinds of holiday dishes, so that became my passion. As a working adult I wanted to share material gifts with those less fortunate. Now that I'm older and retired I think that sharing time with friends and loved ones is more important than ever. Sharing means so many different things. Thank you for letting me share this card with you!

This sketch #37 from Merry Monday got me started.





I liked one of the partridges in the paper I used, so I punched it out with a 2.5" circle punch. Then I did some fussy cutting while I listened to the candidates debate last night. I punched another circle the same size from one of the other papers in the same collection and pop dotted my image to fit the circle. I colored the pear with my olive marker so it would show up more. The dark green lace was punched using the back side of the pear and partridge paper. The sentiment was a zip strip I cut off of the top of the same paper and cut it into banners.

Thanks for letting me share my card with you. I'm sharing it with the following challenges:
ABC Christmas Challenge - U Up to You
Blogger's Challenge by Lisa Somerville - Take Flight
Creative Card Crew - Challenge #21 - Birds
Merry Monday Sketch #37
Flutter By Wednesdays Challenge #210 - Any Winged Creature
The Cupboard Trilogy Challenge #4 - Things with Wings

4.24" x 5.5" Christmas Card Recipe:
Paper - Close To My Heart "Pear and Partridge" paper pack, The Paper Studio Solid Textured Cards
Ink - CTMH Chocolate; CTMH Olive Alcohol marker
Accents - Wilton doily; CTMH Cocoa Ribbon
Tools - Martha Stewart edge punch, pop dots, sponge for inking edges



 

18 comments:

Lesley said...

What a glorious card, full of Christmas goodness! Love the sentiment as well and the pretty, vintage feel to your card Vickie! Thanks for joining us at Merry Monday!
Lesley

Denice said...

What a wonderful card, lovely colors!! I love your take on this week's Any Winged Creature challenge at Flutter By Wednesday...so glad you were able to join us!
:Dxx

Juliet A said...

This is so clever and so elegant! It has a 50s vintage feel to it.

Zoe said...

A very pretty card, love all your blending and layout, thank you for playing along with The cupboard trilogy, good luck Hun xx Zoe DT xx

Dorte said...

Lovely layout for your card and beautiful colours, thank you for sharing!
Thank you for joining our challenge at ABC Christmas this time,
greetings Dorte

Notes by Nina said...

Wonderful card Vickie, I love these colors together and the paper is fabulous. The little bird is so sweet. Thank you for joining us for Merry Monday.

Bonnie said...

What a sweet card, Vickie! And Christmas is for sharing! Thanks for sharing with us at Merry Monday!

Susan Joyce said...

Lovely combination of colours and sentiment. Thanks for sharing your card at Merry Monday.

FLUV said...

So pretty, lovely card. Good luck in the Cupboard trilogy challenge x

LittleCraftsbyLia said...

Now these is some cute lil bird! I love your Card!
Thanks for joining the Creative Card Crew!

Hugs and Good Luck, Elisa (DT)

Carrie Gaskin said...

So pretty and delicate. Great card. Thanks for playing at Merry Monday this week.

Wendy said...

Pretty card, Vicki! Love the little bird, sentiment and how you used the doily! Thanks for playing along with us this week over at Merry Mondays! :)

paper fun said...

Lovely card. Great bird.

Thanks for joining us at Creative Card Crew.

Mari

Allisa said...

Great Christmas card, love the fussy cutting! Thanks for playing with us at Merry Monday!

Magz said...

your card is great, love the fussy cutting.
Thanks for joining in over at the Cupboard trilogy challenge.
Mags DT

Unknown said...

Beautiful card
Thanks for joining us over on The Cupboard Trilogy, good luck & we all hope to see you again

Jane x
[owner/DT]

Annette said...

Awww, cute birdie, Lovely card.
Annette - Netty's Cards
Proud to design for ABC Christmas Challenge.
xx

Lesley said...

Great card, lovely colours! Thanks for taking part in The Cupboard Trilogy Challenge xx

Lesley (DT)