Thursday, September 10, 2015

Paper Garden Watercolor Silhouette Card

During the summer while I was watching four grandkids, I checked books out at the library about painting with watercolors. It has been over 30 years since I taught watercolor painting classes in 4H. I've dabbled a little, but consider myself a novice. I always wanted to "take up watercolor painting in retirement." Little did I know that Close to My Heart would introduce a large set of watercolor paints, brushes, and watercolor paper in their new idea book. I ordered the paint set as soon as I could. I had brushes and paper so I made this card before I ordered the paper.

 The paper I used was quite thick and textured.  First, I brushed clear water onthe paper, then added colors, allowing them to mix.I painted the colors while the paper was wet. I misted a little more water on the paper and let the paint dry for a long time (days) before stamping the flower silhouette and the title with black dye ink. The watercolor paper was a little larger, but I turned it different directions until I saw a pattern that I thought would coordinate with the design of the stamp. I used the slanted "line" between two colors, just right for the slant of the stems. That also inspired my use of silver glitter trim and ribbon in the left corner as a resting place for my butterfly.  Here's the result.


I'm sharing this card with the following challenges:
4 Crafty Chicks #263 - Birthday
Crafty Ribbons #126 - Happy Birthday
Seize the Birthday - anything goes/birthday
Simon Says Stamp - use a stamp, not digi
The Crazy Challenge #205 - Watercolor

You can find all of the supplies I used (from CTMH) on my website. (Butterfly and blue Paper Fundamentals pattern are retired.)
Stamps:
Paper Garden Sept.Stamp of the Month:        

  Hello Life Scrapbooking and Cardmaking special                                   





 

5 comments:

Colleen said...

Beautiful water color background and wonderful silhouettes! thank you for joining us at STB!

Lori Turner said...

Gorgeous card! I love that watercolor background with the black stamp...so pretty!! Thanks for joining us at 4 Crafty Chicks this week for our Birthday challenge xoxoxo

Cvetelina Borisova said...

Beautiful card! Thank you for joining us at The Crazy Challenge!

jenn shurkus said...

beautiful background :) i love the bold sentiment against it too! thank you for playing along with us at simon says stamp wednesday challenge!

Glenda J said...

Great silhouette nd terrific background. Thanks for playing along with Seize the Birthday.